Indoor air quality is something everyone should be concerned about in their homes. According to the Environmental Protection Agency, indoor air quality can be two to five times worse than outside. With increased indoor air pollution and allergies, homeowners can breathe easier by having professionals come out and clean their air ducts and dryer vents.
Why Is Cleaning Air Ducts So Important?
Many people do not realize the air quality in their home has been compromised. With a central air system, the house’s air is circulated over and over through the ducts. If the ducts are not clean, the air can pick up contaminants that can make it less healthy to breathe.
With air duct cleaning, the dust and debris inside the ducts are removed. The professional duct cleaners in Raleigh, NC, come out and clean the registers in each room while cleaning the return and supply air ducts.
Although a homeowner may vacuum their registers and clean their filters regularly, there is a lot of dirt and debris built up in the duct system over the years. The National Air Duct Cleaners Association recommends homeowners have their duct systems cleaned every three to five years.
Benefits of Duct Cleaning Services
People dust and clean their homes regularly, but what is lurking in their registers and ducts? It is the unseen that can cause a home’s air quality to degrade and become unhealthy. The following are some of the benefits of hiring a professional duct cleaning service.
- Dust is removed from the duct system, preventing it from circulating through the air and landing on every surface in the home. Duct cleaning offers a cleaner home environment.
- Those who suffer from allergies and asthma will appreciate being able to breathe more comfortably. With cleaner air to breathe, there will be fewer unwanted symptoms.
- Some homes have unpleasant odors and do not realize these odors are arising from their dirty ducts. Pets, food preparation, mildew, and cleaning products can all leave trapped odors in the vents that make a home smell unclean. Duct cleaning removes these odors.
- Many central air systems become impeded by ducts that are full of dust and debris. When these ducts are cleaned thoroughly, airflow can be significantly improved, also improving the system’s efficiency and saving homeowners money on their electricity costs.
- When a duct system is overly dirty and clogged with dust, it can end up causing problems with the operation of the HVAC system. By having the duct system cleaned regularly, the system’s lifespan will be increased.
Homes Are Often Dirtier Than They Appear
A home is a breeding ground for many kinds of germs. These microscopic bacteria can congregate in the duct system of a home, creating an unhealthy air quality. Those who have their air ducts cleaned often find they must dust less often. Many also report fewer allergy symptoms.
Dryer Vent Cleaning Saves Lives
Although individuals may clean their dryer filter, this does not mean there is no danger. According to FEMA, dryers start 2,900 house fires each year. These fires often result in over $35 million in property damages.
With a dryer vent cleaning service, homeowners can rest assured their vent is clean and free of debris that could cause the dryer to malfunction or even lead to a dangerous fire.
A dryer’s lifespan can often be reduced because it has not been appropriately maintained. Having the vent deep cleaned removes the softener and clothing residue that can lead to blockages in airflow.
Multiple signs may warn a homeowner they need to have their dryer vent cleaned, and they include the following.
- If the dryer does not get the clothes dried in the first cycle, this likely means there is a problem with air circulation.
- Should a person find their clothes or dryer overly hot at the end of a cycle, the hot air is not escaping as it should, which can lead to dangerous overheating.
- Do not ignore a burning smell, which is a dangerous sign. Burning smells mean the dryer is overheating, and the vent likely needs to be cleared right away.
- If lint is building up inside the duct and it is matted and difficult to clean, it is wise to hire a professional.
What Is Involved in the Duct Cleaning Process?
The duct cleaning process is quite intricate and involves multiple steps. The professional cleaners treat each home as their own, working to ensure the ducts are cleaned thoroughly. Homeowners need to know what steps are involved in the process. With preparation, the duct cleaning steps will be conducted seamlessly.
- First, the system and ductwork are carefully prepared for the cleaning process. During the duct cleaning service, the system will need to be shut down to be safely cleaned.
- The dislodging process is next and is an integral part of the duct cleaning process. Dislodging helps to ensure the debris and irritants will be extracted properly.
- A high-powered vacuum system removes all dirt, debris, and allergens effectively. These vacuums can reach deep into the ducts, where a traditional household vacuum could not.
- The system is then sanitized thoroughly to prevent mold buildup from occurring. Mold can make the occupants of a home very ill, so it’s an essential step in cleaning air ducts.
Schedule an Appointment
Homeowners in the Raleigh, NC area need to be aware of the dangers of dirty ducts and dryer vents. With regular cleaning services, you can protect your home’s air quality — breathing easier, and with fewer asthma and allergy symptoms.
Call today to schedule an appointment right away. Having the ducts in a home cleaned every three to five years will improve the central air system’s function and prevent nasty buildups of toxic irritants in the ducts.
6 & Fix Heating and Cooling is an HVAC company that provides a wide range of services for their customers in the Raleigh, NC area including duct and dryer vent cleaning. They are indoor air quality experts, as the air you inhale in your home is filtered through an HVAC system, bringing in air from the outside. 6 & Fix offers same-day services and maintenance options that keep HVAC systems working at their best and indoor environments comfortable and safe.